To Prussia – With Love?

In “The Prussian Model”, Sal lays out a quick history of higher education – skills learned through apprenticeship, ideals and opinions culled from discussions with the beau monde – and poses an interesting question: where did the idea of educating our children come from?

Let’s all tip our helmets to Prussia.

The point of K-12 education, fashionably fixed atop this 1871 Prussian officer helmet.

Or, perhaps more specifically, Johann Gottlieb Fichte. A key player in devising the Prussian educational system, Fichte felt that “if you want to influence a person, you must do more than merely talk to him; you must fashion him in such a way that he simply cannot will otherwise than what you wish him to will”. (Khan 76)

You see, the Prussian model wasn’t built to create independent, creative thinkers. It was built to mold the minds of its citizens, creating loyal members of society that would submit to authority.

In all fairness, there were some attractive qualities of the Prussian model. For instance, schooling was open to all children of society, not just the upper crust of society. The middle class flourished in a way not seen before.

Mmm…tax-supported schooling for all.

In America, the Prussian model was adopted with little change to its structure. While the United States had become one of the most literate countries in the world, there wasn’t much in the way of standardization regarding what was to be taught and how long a child’s educational career should be.

Enter “The Committee of Ten”. In 1892, educational officials – many of them university presidents – met to standardize the American school system. From this gathering, decisions were made that determined key components of our educational system we have today, such as the starting and ending age of schooling and the introduction of academic topics like physics and trigonometry.

This model was quite progressive at the time, but over 120 years later, our culture and society demands a more flexible model that allows for creativity and independent thinking.

Still 100 years more relevant than “The Committee of Ten”.

I’m particularly proud of how our school shakes up the status quo of primary education. Our early release Wednesdays beg for creative collaboration across content and grade levels, our STEAM Lab offers many innovate educational tools to those who dive in, and our emphasis on leadership demonstrates our drive to transform each child into a self-sufficient member of society who will thrive academically and socially.

These are small but necessary steps to developing the 21st century learner. My hope is that our educational system will look unrecognizable in another 120 years as it evolves to meet the needs of the 22nd century learner.

6 thoughts on “To Prussia – With Love?

1. Great post, Mike! Seeing as I am the next person to post to this blog, you set my chapter up very nicely with your explanation!

I am also really proud of our school and the way we are trying to evolve education. I love all the opportunities we are providing for the 4 Cs and I believe it’s making a contribution to the evolution of the 22nd century learners.

Thanks for your post!

• Caitlin,

I definitely agree! I am really proud of our school too, and I think that we are always trying to improve and evolve education. We are always working on improving the “old customs and standards,” because we found that our students need more and they deserve more!

2. I agree about the Wednesdays and how we are using our time. It isn’t just “do as you wish” or catch up time. We are really thinking outside of the box, trying new things and MAKING time for things that were difficult before (buddies, cross grade groupings etc…).

There are a lot of “educational customs and assumptions we’ve inherited” as Khan states on pg. 81. Basic classroom model? To promote submission to authority! Fragmented subjects? Same idea. We have begun to change some of this now. Here is a good one though…Why are schools off for the summer? Most people think due to farming customs, but not really. (I learned something!) Check this out:

http://knowledgenuts.com/2014/06/17/summer-vacations-werent-because-of-farm-work/

Not that I would love year round school, but some of the reasons for it are not issues any longer and in other places schools are open year round. Can you imagine?? Pretty far from the Prussian Model.

• In my former district we did a modified year-round calendar. You were off two weeks in october, winter break, two weeks for spring break, out at the beginning of July and back at the first of August. I loved it! I thought it was great for staff and students. You go to school for 9 weeks – work really hard – learn a lot – and then take a couple of weeks to reflect and consolidate the learning then come back for another 9 week stretch. Not only were the breaks nice but I believe the system was conducive to learning and you still had nearly two months off in the summer.

3. Greetings,
    I am really enjoying this whole book. I am fascinated by the reality that our education system is essentially the same construct as was dictated by the Committee of Ten in the 1890’s – the same year as our little red schoolhouse … I wonder if the vision set forth by Sal Khan could work in DPS109. I wonder if we could “break down the walls” and the barriers of integrated instruction and learning and enact an interest based, team teaching, engaged schoolhouse as visioned by Khan. I don’t know … I do know though, that I would rather we follow an American model from the 2000’s vs. a 19th Century Industrial model.

In any event I love the dialogue and discourse. The possibilities are endless and we have the courage to push the envelope.
    ML

4. Mike,

Great post and I love the title. Just like with all things I know this model of schooling had it’s time. There was a time that almost everything worked well. Our challenge, and sometimes the hardest part, is to realize when the time is to change and modify.